Wednesday, January 4, 2012

NYC: Day Three

Today was my first day at work. I had to be there at 10:00 a.m., just to talk to Tara a little bit about what I would be doing for Study NY. I had wanted to be over in Brooklyn at 9:00 to get coffee at the acclaimed Blue Bottle Coffee and read some of George Orwell's 1984 (for the first time). Unfortunately, my cousins room can be closely compared to a freezer, and I did not want to remove the covers and expose myself, so I slept in.
It took me about half an hour to walk to the L train, get over to Brooklyn, and walk to the studio. I literally walked in the lobby at 10:00 a.m. Lucky for me, Tara was running a tad bit later than I was.
The studio space is pretty awesome. It is shared with the Brooklyn Denim Co. and the place is filled with sewing machines, cutting tables, racks of clothes, fabric, sketches, skeins of yarn, everything someone could want in a creative workspace!
Tara and I established that I would be doing most of the work on the computer, and hopefully be able to take some runs to the showroom and factory. She also said I could use their machines for the wedding dress I am making and let me try out an industrial machine! It is fiercely fast, I love it.
After our meeting, I checked out the Brooklyn Denim Co.'s store before making my way to Blue Bottle.

I got a cup of ethiopian yirgacheffe, pour over style. I'm pretty sure they only offer pour over coffee or espresso from the mother of espresso machines: La Marzocco. The cup was mad expensive ($3.75) compared to the freshly & locally roasted, freshly ground, auto drip I get from Commonplace back home ($1.50). But dating a barista, I had to try Blue Bottle's stuff. It was amazing, although I don't think I'll spend the money on it again. Next on my checklist of coffee snobbery is Intelligentsia and Stumptown.

After I sat in Blue Bottle for a while and read, I hopped back on the L and made my way to Tu Lu's Gluten Free Bakery. I ate a delicious (post coffee) coffee cake and read some more. I'll definitely make it back there before I leave.
I went home, as Ben was out galavanting with his uncle, but we met up later to eat at the NY Tofu House in the East Village. Ben's Uncle Joe had given us a $25 gift card from Restaurant.com but we had to spend $35 for it to be valid (you can get $25 gift cards for $4, an awesome deal). We ate a ton food, or well Ben did and I took mine home. It was really good though. 
Tomorrow is my  first full day (10-6) and I get to meet the other interns! I've been trying to play around with the website I will be working with (Portable) beforehand, but I can't do much without Tara's log in! 

1 comment:

crookedteef said...

Blue Bottle is everywhere in the bay. I actually didn't even know they existed anywhere else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...