Saturday, June 20, 2009

Generosity is Contagious

"Generosity is contagious," is something I heard during my time in Africa. I don't know who said it or where, but I scribbled it down on the back of my CNA receipt, and placed it in my post-flood Bible.
But yesterday I was reminded of the truth of those three words.
I went over Graham's house to help clean up after a week of house sitting. Kate and Elliot were there as well. Kate was craving some Japanese food, Elliot wanted Mexican, and I jumped on the Japanese train. So we went to the sushi joint, ordered our food, and headed to the mall to get the Mexican food. I told Alissa to meet me at the snowball stand so I could return to her her purse, as well as eat a beloved snowball. So Alissa, Kate, Elliot, and I went to the snowball stand. There was a lady in front of us. And though we were talking amongst ourselves, I overheard that she didn't have enough cash for her snowballs (she tried using a credit card). I only had four single dollars with me. She owed $4.80.
I hesitated. Should I give this lady my four measly dollars and forfeit my own beloved snowball?
She was talking about running to the ATM to get cash out. Now that's just silly. No one should have to go to an ATM just for a snowball.
I handed my four dollars to her.
"But you don't even know me!"
"No one should have to go to the ATM for a snowball."
Then Kate and Alissa chipped in with providing her correct change.
She was so thankful, and for what? A simple refreshing snowball on a hot summers day, bought with the help of a couple strangers.
She only needed about two of my dollars, so I was able to get my own snowball too! Awesome! But then, when I went to pay for it, the girl in the booth said I didn't even have to!
Generosity is contagious. And


always spread love!
(Although I forgot to tip the snowball stand workers and I felt like a such a jerk, like I just booted them off the Nice Train. So we went back after we got our Mexican food and tipped them so good.)

2 comments:

Jen Price said...

That's awesome, Jocelyn! And I loved how you incorporated your cool picture into that post!

Brittany Deniston said...

Love this blog, Vocelyn!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...